For every 1 avocado, you’ll need:
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (2.5 ml)
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (1.2 ml)
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (2.5 ml)
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (30 g)
1/4 cup or so coconut flour (30 g)
1 egg, whisked
Coconut oil for frying
HOW TO PREPARE:
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Slice the avocado into 8 wedges and remove the peel.
- Sprinkle the wedges with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, making sure to lightly coat all sides.
- In a food processor, blend the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, cumin and chili powder with the coconut flakes until the coconut flakes are finely chopped.
- Near the stove set up an assembly line of 3 bowls, 1 for egg, 1 for coconut flour and 1 for the coconut flakes.
- Coat each wedge of avocado in egg, coconut flour, back into the egg and then coconut flakes.
- Heat a thin layer of coconut oil in a deep pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the coconut wedges.
- Fry for about 1 minute or less on the first side, or until nicely browned.
- Use a fork (or the combination of a fork and spoon) to turn the wedges as they brown until all sides are crispy. If the oil starts to smoke, turn down the heat.
- Serve avocado fries immediately with hot sauce or mayo spiked with hot sauce.
Recipe and Photo from: Mark’s Daily Apple