3-4 tbsp of Almond spread (see recipe below)
4 kale or collard greens leaves
1 carrot, peeled and grated
1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 avocado, diced
8 turkey or salami slices (Diane’s recipe used thinly sliced turkey or chicken breast)
2 tbsp chopped green onion
2 tbsp sliced fermented turnips
Other options: thinly sliced red cabbage, beetroot, cucumber, asparagus
HOW TO PREPARE:
1. Make almond “cheese” spread ahead of time as it requires to soak the almonds for 8 hours. It will last in the fridge so you can use for other purposes.
2. Lay the green leaves on a cutting board and remove the stems with a knife, keeping the leaves connected at the top.
3. Overlap the greens so there is no space in between, forming a circle or oval layer. Depending on the leaf size you can either do individual leaf rolls or use 2-3 leaves to form a giant roll like me.
4. Lay a few slices of salami or sliced turkey on the bottom and spread 1-2 tablespoons of Herb Almond Spread on the bottom. By the way, if you don’t have the time to make the spread, you could use a ready-made babaganush or beetroot dip. Layer vegetables on top.
5. Wrap everything like a burrito, folding the bottom up first, then the side and then roll up until everything is tightly packed inside. Wrap in plastic to store in the fridge until meal time or cut in half and tuck in.
Herb Almond Spread
1 cup raw almonds
2 1/4 cups water, divided
5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (2 lemons)
1 clove garlic, grated or minced
2 tbsp minced fresh chives
sea salt and pepper to taste
HOW TO PREPARE:
1. Place the almonds and 2 cups of water in a glass or other container and let them soak, covered, in a dark place, for 8 hours or overnight (this is called activating the almonds and also softening them for the dip).
2. Drain and rinse the almonds, then place in a food processor with the remaining 1/4 cup of water and the rest of ingredients.
3. Process until smooth and creamy, stopping and scraping the sides of the processor, about 5 minutes total.
Recipe and Photo from: Eat Drink Paleo