- 6 beef short ribs; (about 1860 calories)
- 1 fennel, top removed and core diced;(about 27 calories)
- 1 leek, green part removed and white cut into 1-inch pieces;(about 54 calories)
- 2 onions, chopped; (about 110 calories)
- 6 celery stalks, cut into 1-inch pieces;(about 12 calories)
- 2 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces; (about 60 calories)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced;(about 12 calories)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste; (about 26 calories)
- 6 cups beef stock; (about 42 calories)
- bottle dry red wine; (about 635 calories)
- A few fresh rosemary sprigs; (about 2 calories)
- A few fresh thyme sprigs; (about 2.1 calories)
HOW TO PREPARE:
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Place the beef short ribs on a foil covered baking sheet, season them to taste with sea salt and
freshly ground black pepper and place them in the preheated oven to roast for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat a pot or dutch oven to a medium-low heat and cook the fennel, leek, onion, celery and carrots in some cooking fat for about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and continue cooking for about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the red wine together with the tomato paste, season to taste with salt and pepper, bring to a boil and let boil until reduced by half.
- Add the roasted short ribs in the pot or dutch oven, pour in the beef stock and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and place in the oven, lowering the tem- perature to 300 F, for about 2 hours.
- Remove the meat from the pot or dutch oven and set set aside.
- Remove the thyme and rosemary from the liquid and bring the liquid to a boil.
- Let the liquid simmer for about 20 minutes, uncovered, until reduced to the desired consistency.
- Add back the meat to the liquid before serving to heat it through.
TOTAL CALORIES OF THIS RECIPE 2569.10
CALORIE COUNT FOR 1 SERVING 428.18